HEALTHCARE IN DECATUR COUNTY
In Decatur County, we know that quality health care is imperative to the well-being of a community. Memorial Hospital and Manor¬†(MHM), located at 1500 Shotwell St. in Bainbridge, (229) 246-3500, is an 80-bed community hospital and 107-bed long-term care facility. The Hospital Administrator is Jim Peak. MHM is fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), and is a not-for-profit organization owned and operated by the Hospital Authority of Bainbridge and Decatur County.
In 1998, the hospital opened a 21,000 square foot addition which includes The Kirbo Women's Center, a state-of-the-art obstetrics and gynecology unit. The Kirbo Women's Center has eight private birthing suites, six private suites for other OB/GYN patients, and an operating room for Cesarean Sections.
Memorial Hospital and Manor's medical staff is composed of highly qualified physicians and nurses, encompassing a full range of medical specialties, including anesthesiology, cardiology, emergency medicine, family practice, gastroenterology, general surgery, gynecology, internal medicine, obstetrics, ophthalmology, orthopedics, otolaryngology (ENT), pediatrics, radiology, and urology.
The hospital's support staff is composed of over 500 employees dedicated to maintaining a warm, friendly, and professional atmosphere. The staff combines personal attention with state-of-the-art technology to provide the best medical care the area can offer.
The health of the community is an important part of the mission of Memorial Hospital and Manor. The hospital sponsors a School Nursing Program and Athletic Training Program in the Decatur County School System at no cost to the school or students. The School Health Check program now has nine (9) Registered Nurses assisting students in the county. The nurses operate school clinics to provide medical assistance, administer medications, conduct vision and dental screenings, and speak to students about health issues. Memorial Hospital and Manor's Certified Athletic Trainer works cooperatively with Decatur County school coaches and area physicians in providing a safe environment for young athletes.
¬†MHM, in partnership with the local YMCA, also hosted two Team Lean competitions, community-wide weight loss competitions to help local citizens get in shape, lose some weight and learn about maintaining healthy lifestyles. MHM also holds an annual community Health Fair offering free or minimal cost health checks to anyone who wishes to participate.
Additional Medical Services and Agencies
Click here for the State's Department of Health site. There are several other types of medical services offered throughout the county meeting various needs, including the following:
- Memorial Manor - A 107-bed long-term care facility located adjacent to, and operated by, Memorial Hospital. A staff of approximately 77 healthcare professionals is employed and provides licensed healthcare 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The facility is licensed by the State of Georgia and accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
- Port City Pulmonary Care, Inc. - A not-for-profit organization which serves the home respiratory needs of Bainbridge and Decatur County. Respiratory services, such as oxygen therapy, nebulizer therapy, apnea monitoring, CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) therapy, clinical respiratory care, overnight oximetry, and arterial blood gas testing, are provided by an experienced respiratory staff.
- Willow Ridge - An elegantly designed, 24-bed assisted living facility owned and operated by Memorial Hospital and Manor. The facility was opened in 1998 and is located on nine (9) acres. Willow Ridge provides a safe environment for older adults who do not wish to live alone or for those that may need personal assistance with everyday living.
- Decatur County Senior Citizens Center - (229) 246-8672, is open 8:30 A.M. to 2:30 P.M., Monday through Friday. The center located at 402 W. Water St. above Cheney Griffin Park provides activities and meals at the center for the area's senior citizens age 60 and older. Activities include shopping outings, line dancing, bingo and crafts. The Meals-on-Wheels program is operated through the Senior Center, as well.
- Decatur County Health Department-This department falls under the jurisdiction of ¬†Southwest Georgia Public Health District 8, Unit 2, headed by Dr. Jacqueline Grant, and maintains several preventive medicine programs, including administering immunizations, clinics for hypertension, family planning, and routine physical exams. Nurse Manager Sherry Hutchins¬†can be reached at (229) 248-3055¬†and¬†is in charge of operations at the Health Department located at 928 West St. in Bainbridge.¬†
- Environmental Health at (229) 248-3058 on Airport Road also falls under Southwest Georgia Health jurisdiction. The local office on Airport Road is located in the Planning Department Building and¬†is headed by Environmental Specialist Ansley Johnson and it is this department that is responsible for well, septic tank, swimming pool and restaurant inspections, as well as serving as the center for reporting rabies outbreaks in the county.
- Information about the local Farmworker Program headed by Sheila Raymer can be had by calling (229) 248-3748. The Farmworker Program office is also located on West St. in Bainbridge, near the Health Department building.
- Riverside Place - Assisted living community.
- Other Medical Services - Memorial Medical Center.