The Heritage Tour is a driving tour of homes, churches and chapels, and other historical buildings and locations. The tour consists of over 50 locations, many of which are well over 100 years old. Taking the Heritage Tour will educate you in some of the rich history of Bainbridge and Decatur County.
Here are just a few of the sites that the Heritage Tour covers:
- Camp Recovery - established in 1871 and used to treat soldiers with malaria during the Indian Wars.
- Troupe Street Theatre - the original site of the Bainbridge Pepsi Cola Bottling Company.
- The Callahan House - built by John W. Callahan, owner of a fleet of steamboats and on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Perry-Penela House - Built in 1897, this home had the first indoor toilet in Bainbridge.
- First Presbyterian Church - This church contains communion ware and a pulpit Bible that was rescued from the 1852 Presbyterian Church that burned in the late 1800's. The pews and stained glass are original and the church organ is an exact replica of the 1903 organ that was in the church.
- The Ehrlich-Immendorf House - This home, built in 1898, contains mantels and doors that were saved when the first home built on the lot burned. The dining room is large enough to seat 50 people.
- The Harrel-Gragg-Livingston Home - This home, built by Mart Harrell in 1906, was the first home in Bainbridge to be built of concrete building blocks. The concrete blocks were made by the Mr. Harrell, a local express agent, in his back yard.
- The Graves-Harell House - This home, built in the 1880's, was constructed by James R. Graves, an express agent who brought the first ice to Bainbridge in bags of sawdust.
Bainbridge and Decatur has many historical markers scattered throughout the county. These markers date the area's history as far back as 1540.
There are historical markers signifying the following events, locations, and people:
- Bainbridge Army Air Field
- Battle of 1702
- Battle of Fowlstown
- Camp Recovery
- Charles James Munnerlyn
- Cyrene Institute
- Decatur County Court House
- DeSoto Trail 1540
- El Camino Real
- First Presbyterian Church
- First United Methodist Church
- Forth Hughes
- Fort Scott
- Fuller's Earth
- Simeon Brinson
- The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History
- The Tonge Factory
For information on additional sites and self-guided tours, please contact the Bainbridge-Decatur County Chamber of Commerce or the Welcome Center at 229-243-8555.